Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Infamous Pittsburgh Pirates Game


 As predicted, all of the things I mentioned in my previous post that I knew would happen, came true. I’ll have to admit though, the game was well attended and the stadium was pretty impressive. You could clearly see the Pittsburgh skyline from our amazing seats. Ken certainly knows how to pick good seats.

It was also impressive to see that Pittsburgh had live captioning of everything that was announced that appeared under the scoreboard.

This time I earnestly tried to follow the game. I only looked at my phone a few hundred times when Ken would look the other way.

There was one disturbing event, though. Around the 5th inning, I heard this man screaming over and over, "Stella! Stella! Stella!" Poor guy, I felt sorry for him. I looked around, but I didn't see him.

A few minutes later he started screaming again. His voice was coming from somewhere in the isle to the left of our seats. "STELLA! STELLA!" And then he would let out an elongated higher pitch scream, "S-T-E-L-L-L-A-A-A!"Again, I looked around, but I couldn't see where he was.

Thoughts were racing through my mind. Why was everyone in the crowd, ignoring him?  No one seemed bothered or disturbed enough to help this poor guy. Not even the isle ushers, or the cop in front of us on the field spitting sunflower seeds on the ground!

As the screaming got closer and closer, I wondered. Was it his wife, his date, his daughter? Is it time for an Amber alert?  Was I the only one who heard him? I turned to Ken, "Do YOU hear that poor frantic man looking for, STELLA?"

He cracked up and finally answered me. "Mol, STELLA is a beer. He's one of the stadium staff selling beer. See?" And sure enough, there was a man carrying a blue crate with the name ~ STELLA clearly spelled out on the side.

Oh, good grief! What brainiac would brand their beer, STELLA? And I'd like to know HOW MANY other mothers in this crowd were sitting there, worried sick, wondering when someone would step up and do the right thing?



No comments: